Having acne can be a nightmare and many people around the world suffer from it, it is one of the most prevalent skin diseases worldwide. There are many different reasons why people think they have acne, but the truth is, it’s all hormonal!
Often, as women, we find that flare ups occur during pregnancy, high-stress periods, perimenopause, menopause, stopping the oral contraceptive and pre-menstruation. Basically, what happens is that our progesterone or cortisol levels become imbalanced and our oil glands get stimulated to produce excess sebum that leads to an acne breakout.
Acne tends to affect everyone from all stages of life and there are few other factors that can trigger or exacerbate breakouts such as: an unhealthy diet, using greasy skincare products, co-existing medical conditions (e.g. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and certain medication.
Adult acne is very common and specifically develops or continues after the age of 25 and affects up to 15% of women. Adult acne presents itself with whiteheads and nodules along the jawline and chin which is frustrating and painful. These lesions tend to heal with scarring or post-inflammatory pigmentation (PIH) when not treated early. Adult acne doesn’t often respond easily to traditional acne therapy and might need more aggressive treatment.
During the wonderful, nurturing and beautiful time of pregnancy, acne, pigmentation and unwanted hair all present a challenge to pregnant mothers. Acne during pregnancy is common due to hormonal changes.
Expecting mothers should use gentle cleansers, avoid toners and harsh scrubs, avoid retinols and also consult their dermatologist on pregnancy-safe treatment options. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily to avoid pigmentation.
Back acne is a whole different demon that many suffer from and further breakouts can be avoided by showering immediately after workouts, exfoliating your back regularly, wearing loose-fitting clothes, avoiding the use of greasy lotions and seeking help early.
If you suffer from any kind of acne, here are a few pitfalls to avoid:
- Washing your face too frequently can harm your skin, twice a day is enough
- Always apply moisturizer – even when you feel your skin is too oily – if you don’t apply moisturizer your skin will just produce more oil
- Don’t squeeze your pimples!! This can cause more damage, scarring and dark spots
- Don’t exfoliate too often, abrasive products may cause more harm than good
- Using very heavy make up clogs your pores and will worsen your outbreak
- Waiting too long to seek medical care can cause more damage – early prevention is important in the prevention of scars and spots
Key active ingredients to look for when searching for acne products:
- Salicylic acid – helps prevent pores from getting plugged
- Benzyl peroxide – kills bacteria and reduces excess oil production
- Retinoids – stimulate cell turnover, to help unclog pores and help with dark spots
Moral of the story:
SEEK HELP! If you are suffering from acne, book an appointment and let’s see how we can help you control it.
Shop all our acne products HERE